Science Curriculum Overview

The grid below gives an overview of the curriculum for this academic year:

Parent guide to the new GCSE Science courses.

Year 7

Students are timetabled six Science lessons per fortnight. The curriculum followed is based on the National Curriculum using the Pearson Exploring Science resources.

On entry, students complete a baseline test which enables teachers to plan their lessons to allow students to build on prior knowledge.

Each term students will be taught Biology, Chemistry and Physics topics. Assessment and feedback will take place at the end of each of these topics.

A great emphasis is placed on practical work and students are introduced to a wide range of scientific equipment and its safe use. The practical and investigative skills of planning, observing, analysing and evaluating are introduced and developed throughout.

Year 8

Year 9

GCSE

 GCSE 9-1

The majority of students will study a two year course which results in the Edexcel Combined Science qualification. There will be Biology, Chemistry and Physics units. Each of these units will include a number of core practicals which will be assessed through the final examinations towards the end of year 11. Students are regularly assessed using GCSE level questions and exam papers to ensure that they are making the expected progress towards their final qualification.

 GCSE A*-G

Students currently in year 11 will be awarded two GCSEs in Science: Core Science and Additional Science. Each qualification will include a controlled assessment which contributes to 25% of their final grade. The remaining 75 % will comprise of units in Biology. Chemistry and Physics. Students follow the Edexcel syllabus for both these qualifications.

A number of students who have shown a particular interest in studying the Sciences to a higher level will have been invited to study Biology, Chemistry and Physics separately. They will be awarded a grade for each of these. This grade will include a 25% contribution from a controlled assessment for each.  

The Ramsey Academy, Halstead an academy within the North Essex Multi-Academy Trust, a company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales (Company Number 7687474)
The Ramsey Academy, Colne Road, Halstead, Essex, CO9 2HR | Tel: 01787 472 481 | Fax: 01787 474 267 | Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  | Contact

Education Outreach Teacher Ambassodor Web Accreditation Badge DIGTALCEOP Healthy School Logologo