Year 9 Options
Key Stage 4 Options Subjects 2021 - 2022
The selection of optional subjects is one of the crucial moments in any student’s secondary education. All students have already started to complete work of GCSE standard in all their subjects but will opt to specialise and follow a two year GCSE/BTEC programme, starting in Year 10. The experience of studying some of the GCSE content in Year 9 will allow staff to give specific guidance to ensure students have the aptitude for particular subjects and allow students to make a more informed choice.
We aim to ensure that the information and guidance provided will support your child through the options process and ensure that their informed choices lead to the maximisation of their potential.
It will be important that each student understands their own strengths and weaknesses so that theycan optimise their chances of success. Equally, we recommend that each student select courses in which they have aptitude as well as personal interest.
The introduction of the English Baccalaureate places a focus on certain key subjects which are seen to offer academic rigour and a firm foundation for students’ future success whichever route they follow.
What will the curriculum look like?
The Ramsey Academy is a fully inclusive school; our aim is to offer a broad and balanced curriculum that enables accessibility for all, with a variety of subjects to meet the needs and aspirations of our students. Ensuring the combination of courses our students study provides suitable progression routes into post-16 study and beyond, is of paramount importance to us at The Ramsey Academy.
Students will all study the following compulsory subjects:
- English Language
- English Literature
- Science (Triple or Combined)
- Physical Education (non GCSE)
- Personal Development and Careers Education
- Relationships and Sex Education (RSE)
In addition to this, students will follow one of three learning pathways. We will ask students to select other subject choices which will become their “Options”. All subjects will be examined in the summer of 2023.
To support the students making their choices we will be providing the following:
- Options Booklet, which contains information on making the right choice and pathways.
- Taster sessions for specific subjects during tutor time
- Year 9 Key Stage 4 Options Evening (online presentation): Thursday 25 February 2021 6.30pm link below: 67968266f826%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%225126cab4-8c77-4733-adc7-1d39e96f5115%22%2c%22IsBroadcastMeeting%22%3atrue%7d
- Detailed information course information on the website from Friday 26th February 2021.
- Year 9 Parents’/Carers’ Consultation Evening (online): Thursday 4 March 2021
The deadline for submitting option choices is Friday 12 March 2021.